Sunday, February 28, 2010

Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson (highly recommended)


I just finished Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson. I loved this book. I highly recommend it to anyone who likes fantasy action-adventure. It is not as serious as the Lord of The Rings or Dune but it is not as campy as most fantasy novels. It is a great mix of fun and gravity.

Summary:
Mistborn is about a girl named Vin. She is a special girl with unusual abilities. She is only vaguely aware of her powers at the beginning of the book. She meets a man named Kelsier who mentors hers and teaches her how to use her powers. Kelsier, along with his band of brothers, plans to defeat the Lord Ruler, an evil lord, who has ruled the Empire for a millennium. Mistborn is set in a faux-18th century context, during a time of nobles and aristocrats and plebians (called skaa).

Content:
If this book was a movie, it would have been rated PG. There were a number of action-violence scenes. There were a few short scenes of graphic violence. But overall, it was pretty clean.

Pacing:
The pacing was great. Once the book's momentum started to pick-up speed, it never looked back. The pacing was fast and great from beginning to end. It kept my interest for the entirety of the book.

Writing:
The writing was first rate. The writing was fantastic. The writing was simple and straightforward. I enjoyed read Sanderson's writing style.

Overall:
It has been a long time since I've read a new fantasy book that I've like a lot and I do like this book a lot. I would put it up there with Lord of the Rings and Dune. I thought thought the pacing and writing and action were top notch. It was a very enjoyable read. I highly recommend it to anyone who likes action-adventures. Good times.

No comments:

Post a Comment