Tuesday, February 22, 2011

The Art Of The Checkmate by Renaud and Kahn (GRADE: A+)


I finished The Art Of The Checkmate by Renaud and Kahn.  I would grade this book an A+.  It is definitely worth reading several times over.  In fact, I'm going through the book a second time right now.

Essentially, the book is organized in this way:
1.  Introduces, bare bones, a type of checkmate.
2.  It shows some slight variations on that type of checkmate.
3.  Then, this is the best part, it gives you the entire game from first move to checkmate for the type of checkmate described.  There may only be one example of a game or just an end game position.  But most have several games showing the checkmate described.

I absolutely enjoyed going through the games in the is book and I think this may be the single most helpful book on check that I've encoutered so far.  I would highly recommend it to anyone who wants to improve their game.  I think this book is for intermediate players.  You should know basic tactics and stategies.  You should know algebraic notation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment