Tuesday, June 16, 2009

The Character Of God by R. C. Sproul (finished)


I just finished The Character Of God by R. C. Sproul.

I am a long time fan of R. C. Sproul.  A lot of my formative theology was shaped by Sproul and I am thankful for it.  I think that I was spared from a lot of bad theology because of him.

The Character Of God is an intermediate theology book about the attributes of God; some things that the book discusses include His holiness, His omnipotence, His omnipresence, etc.  The book is a solid introduction to the attributes of God.  It is written in an easily accessible way.  And I found it to be an enjoyable read.  Much of Sproul's candidness and humor comes out in his writing.

In another book by Sproul, he shares the following anecdote about when he was in high school (or was it middle school).  Sproul was not artistic (with respect to fine arts) but one day, his teacher put one of his essays on the board with other student's artwork communicating that Sproul's writing is a work of art.  Sproul tells this story humbly.  And I do agree.  I think that Sproul's writing is very good; his writing of theology is a work of art.

I highly recommend this book.  If you want to read serious, academic theology that is easily accessible, this is the book for you.  Good times.

No comments:

Post a Comment