Wednesday, June 3, 2009

The Deathly Hallows by J. K. Rowling (finished)


I just finished Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J. K. Rowling.

It was good.

It was very good.

I don't really know what more to say about the book, other than I thought that it was outstanding.

I highly recommend reading the entire series just to get to read this book, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, in the right context.

The last two books (the Order of the Phoenix and the Half-blood prince) felt unsatisfying, even though they were good reads, because they didn't feel like complete stories (the first four felt that way).  The last two books felt like they were setting the stage for this last book.

This book had a lot of action and it was fast paced.  Although, especially in the beginning of the book, there was very little development of characters; I guess you can't develop and have lots of action at the same time, or it is very hard to do that.

By the time I was about 150 pages from the end of the book, I started to wonder how J. K. Rowling was going to resolve all the loose ends, if she was going to wrap it up in a satisfying way.  Now that I've finished the book, I would say that, yes, she did wrap it up well; very well, indeed.

I read that last 200 pages in essentially one sitting; there are only a few books that can glue me to my seat for about 4 or 5 hours and this was one of them.

So, overall, I would highly recommend Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.  It was a very enjoyable read.  I am tempted to pick up Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone and start the series from the beginning again tomorrow (most likely, I'll pick up a new--at least new to me--Stephen King book).  Good times.


No comments:

Post a Comment