Sunday, January 30, 2011

Christine by Stephen King (GRADE: B+)


I finished Christine by Stephen King this month.  I really liked this book.  I like how Stephen King takes ordinary things and makes them extra-ordinary, in this case, a classic car.  I grade this book a B+.

This book is about a teenage boy, Arnie Cunningham.  Arnie sees a car for sale on the side of the road as he's driving with his best friend Dennis Guilder.  Arnie falls in love with this battered old car and wants to buy it.  As Arnie works on the car, it starts to change him.  Arnie starts to take on the characteristics of the previous owner, a nasty old man named Roland LeBay.

Dennis does not like the car and is suspicious of the car because of how it seems to be changing his best friend, Arnie, changing him into a stranger.

Arnie eventually falls in love with a great girl named Leigh Cabot.  Leigh does not like the car and after some drama, Leigh wants Arnie to choose between the car, Christine and her.

The writing is great!

The pacing is great!  So much so, that I am tempted to sit down and study this book to try to figure out how Stephen King did it.

The theme of obsession is a big part of this book and how the object of the obsession will eventually change you.  This seems to be the message of Stephen King's book.

Overall, I really liked this book.  B+ is pretty much the highest grade I'll give shy of the "RE-READ".  I would recommend this book.  I was initially intrigued about how Stephen King can turn a not-so-scary thing like a car into the subject of a horror novel.  But I think that King was very successful in doing that.  Good times.

No comments:

Post a Comment