Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris (finished)


I finished Dead Until Dark this weekend.

I have mixed feelings about this book.

The writing was not good in my opinion. There were a number of fragment sentences (I do not think that they were intentionally fragmented). And there were too many colloquialism. Yes, I know. It is written in the first person and it reflects the way the main character thinks but it felt like lazy writing to me.

There were large sections of explicit content in the book. It did not add to the story.

The book was a dubious read. I felt the beginning of the book was really strong. The book at times caught and held my attention but at other times it did not. There were no layers to the book. Essentially, what you read on the surface was pretty much all there was. I don't think that it merits a second read at all.

Overall, I do NOT recommend Dead Until Dark. The book was not written well. And although, there were parts of the story were engaging, most of the book was trite. I will not be reading any of the sequels in the future.
Good times.

No comments:

Post a Comment